Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Operation Project $0 day three: Curtains turned trendy Blazer

Well since I talked about curtains yesterday, I figured I would continue the theme today with another $0 creation using drapes.  And I'll reference a second movie where the curtains are cut up by the female heroine... Enchanted, I love Enchanted, such a great movie... inspiring girls everywhere to destroy the household curtains and create gorgeous dresses and eventually become entrepreneurs (no, I am not recommending you cut the curtains that are STILL hanging from the rod... that results in this face...)*sorry for the ad at the begining of the clip ;o(

Seriously love that movie!


Ok, but back to my curtains and kickin blazer.  These curtains were another donation from a friend who had long since changed their design aesthetic in their home.  As soon as I saw the floral pattern and weight of the fabric, I KNEW it was destined to be a jacket... and so it has been waiting ofr over a year.  Then Magda of House of Estrela contacted me about testing her new one size blazer pattern that she will soon be offering for FREE!  Now part of Project $0 is not spending money - so that means not spending money on patterns either.  I have built the majority of my pattern collection through testing patterns for designers, finding free patterns on line, and creating my own patterns.  Having a ready made pattern is certainly less time consuming than making one from scratch!!!




I love this little blazer, the little bit of gather in the sleeve, the button tab closure, the curved piecing that keeps it from being too boxy.  This pattern is a size 2, which means it has just the right amount of growing room for baby girl to last through fall and winter - and maybe into next Spring.    The floral lining was a fat quarter sent to me by my amazing Aunt who was de-stashing some of her fabric.  And that gorgeous button came form my button jar (I did purchase the button jar 2 years ago form the Amish for $2... but seeing as the jar contained well over 200 buttons, we'll say I spent 1 cent ;op)


The only sad things about this pattern are that  a) it is only in one size.... come on Magda, I'm giving you a year to make me some bigger sizes so I can keep making these for baby girl!!!  And b) you have to add seam allowances.  Now adding seam allowances isn't the biggest deal in the world and is actually the norm in Europe and Japan - it is just one extra prep step, and since the pattern is FREE, you wont find me really complaining ;o)



So what do you think about my second curtain cast of creation????  This was the inspiration form my inspiration board.  Seeing that similar blazers run over $98, I think I did pretty good at $0.01
Source
Make sure to come back tomorrow to see what Heather of Feather's Flights has in store for us...and upload your own creations to our Flickr Group!!!

14 comments:

  1. WOW that jacket is great! I want one for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that movie! And the jacket its too cute! But when you talk about making clothes from curtains, I'm always gonna default to Maria and Von Trapp kids. Always! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that in my size! I am amazed that that is drapery fabric too! I never would've guessed! It's ADORABLE on your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cute outfit!! i love the leggings with it! that blazer amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say what Snickerdoodle said...repurposing curtains always makes me think of Sound of Music. Yours even has that feel, what a great jacket and I would take one in my size.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute little blazer! I love it, and I'm definitely looking forward to that pattern. It's just darling paired with those shorts too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I'll be keeping my eye out for this pattern :) I do love a free pattern (especially in a 2t). I'm loving this series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! And I am testing the same jacket ^_^ ALSO IN LEMON YELLOW. `

    ReplyDelete
  10. That jacket is ADORABLE! I am loving this series! Also Enchanted is a great show! I think I need to watch it today :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. aahhhhhhhhhhh love that movie too. And I might make a new size next year, after all mine will need a new blazer by then. hehehe
    As I had told you before, I love love love your blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute. I love the fancy look without the big price tag. Wow the pressure is on big time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really darling jacket. I love upcycling too. These projects are so inspiring. It's just so fun to see what you can come up with & not spend a lot on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete